Friday, October 25, 2013

Credit where credit is due


Frank Sontag seems like a genuinely nice guy, but as an atheist it can be hard to find anything in his show that I can sink my teeth into. I swear, if my liver could handle it, I'd make a drinking game out of every time he said 'our Walk', 'Christian Walk' etc. I realize I'm not the target audience of the show or station. Still, I like listening to it because I enjoy discussing religion. Unfortunately, "discussing" is boring if you agree with everything, and more boring still if the topic is something you can neither agree or disagree with. Even if I were a believer, I'm not sure how exciting it can be when the topic is about how our Walk needs to be stronger. OK, yeah, I agree. Now what?

Anyway, in his daily "How Strong is our Walk?" segment, a caller said the Pastors were not speaking the harsh Truth to Christians because they were afraid to lose their tax exemptions. Frank quickly jumped in and said it wasn't fair to say that of all pastors.

A few minutes later the tone had shifted to how atheists were the ones disparaging The Faith. A caller said atheists know God exists, but don't want to admit it because they don't want to have to answer to anyone. (This is one of the annoyingly incorrect things that Christians say--but maybe I'll rant about that later.) Frank told the caller he shouldn't say that of all atheists. Now, there was more than a hint of, "Don't say that of all atheists because you open the door for them to say you're making a generalization," but that's just nit-picking. The point is that almost every host (the previous host included) would have allowed the double standard and not batted an eye.

So good on ya, Frank.

Note: I edited this pretty heavily several days after posting because I didn't like the tone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment